Kontakt Strona główna Pliki do pobrania polski

NEWSLETTER

Podaj swój adres e-mail:

1. Railway station

Iron Vistula Road

On august 29th 1887 imperial authorities activated Iron Vistula Road from Mława,  which was strategic connection between Modlin fortress, Warsaw – Prague, Iwangród Fortress (Dęblin) Lublin, Chełm an Kowel with Black Sea.  

First stop after Warsaw – Prague was Station Otwock (Otwock’s Villas, Otwock) located on Otwock’s Lands, owned by Sigmund Kurtz. 
A couple of buildings were put up along the railroad:  a wooden, one-story railway station building and several station buildings:  administrative – habitable, red- bricked, partially plastered  house,  plastered water tower, which – after rebuild  - was covered by metal sheet (it was rebuilt by Jan Fijałkowski, during railway rebuild), and crossing man house with utility buildings (S. Żermoski street, Corner of National Army), which is a typical example of railway – architecture connected with line of Vistula Railroad. 
These buildings are still in good condition to this day. 
In 1910 due to Jan Fijałkowski’s (1872 – 1919 ) rail, building project of Iron Vistula Road, a new, stoned, modernistic railway station was built between the tracks.  
Author connected utility functions (traveler service) with cultural and recreation functions.  Original block of railway station is survived to this day and at present it is a special landmark of Otwock’s map. 
On december 15th 1936  the electrification of railway was conducted.  The first in the history of Otwock electric PKP train from Pruszków through Warsaw (memorial) drove into the town. 
During World War II, on August 19th 1942 Otwock’s railway station witnessed round-ups and transports of people to concentration camps.
About 8000 Jewish Otwock  habitants were transported to extermination camp in Treblinka by Nazis.