Kontakt Strona główna Pliki do pobrania polski

NEWSLETTER

Podaj swój adres e-mail:

2. Spa House and the Civic Park

J. Filipowicza 9 Street

The casino building, under Władysław Leszek Horodecki and Feliks Michalski’s project, was constructed between 1927-1933. In this representative edifice was supposed to be the spa house and, swimming, as well as the hazard games casino which would bring the high profit for the city. For this building the city’s Municipality took a very high credit in the American company Ulen&Co.  the enterprise  turned out to be scarced.  Warsaw’s authorities did not agree to establish the “game house” in spa Otwock. 

One of the reasons for this decision could have been the unfavorable public opinion, as well as the revealed  economic affair mixed with many well-known people from Otwock, along with the former mayor M. Górzyński and the building’s leaseholder Gustaw Pojsel (Pojzela).
The structured beautiful, stylish building was functioning before the war as a Spa House. It contained the restaurant, café, dancing hall, theater hall, non-hazardous games hall, cinema and the rooms to rent. The social and cultural life of prewar Otwock was centered there. In 1935 on the outdoor stairs the several first scenes were shot to the movie “Love Maneuvers” with Tola Mankiewiczówna and Aleksander Żabczyński, as the main characters. The fragments of the movie, where the scenes were shot in the Spa House can be watched on the website YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14CrBihB4Q).  
During the war time the casino’s edifice was taken by the German army.
In October, and in the beginning of November 1944, the Main Security Council’ residence was on the ground floor, and then the Hospital for wounded soldiers was situated there. 
Nowadays, in this impressive building the Group of General education Schools (including the high school nr 1 named after . K. I. Gałczyński) is situated. 
The building along with the neighboring park’s area were listed to the monuments’ rerecord on the 31st January 1979 under the 938 number.
 
The City Park
In 1924 the Otwock’s Municipality bought from the owner of Otwock’s goods- Count Władysław Jezierski, two garden plots between the two streets of that time, Mlącka and Wólczyńska (nowadays between the streets gen. J. Filipowicz and K. Pułaski) intended to have been The City Hall. The project was prepared by an architect- gardener Wacław Tański. In the first period of time of park’s existence, the casino’s edifice and the scene for the concerts were built. The allies full of flowers, flowerbeds, and tennis court were marked out
In 1933, a famous architect, gardener and planner- Stanisław Zadora-Żarski took on the change of composition and renovation of the park. He designed a project the development of park’s part in front of the “casino” where on the forefront he situated a basin with fountain, surrounded by flowerbeds. The territory was closed by the semicircular shaped wall of thujas, on which the Józef Piłsudski’s monument was situated, under the project of a clever artist painter, graphic designer and sculptor Stanisław Szreniawa-Rzecki.
The Józef Piłsudski’s monument survived the war, disappeared in the mysterious circumstances in 1948.