Kontakt Strona główna Pliki do pobrania polski

NEWSLETTER

Podaj swój adres e-mail:

7. Summer Centre for children – Olin

Borowa Street

Summer Centre for children called Olin , began his activity probably on summer 1926. It was funded by Warsaw Magistracy with a help of social organizations. One of them was Association of Social Welfare – Welfare, managed by Aleksandra Piłsudska. The diminutive of Aleksandra is Ola, this is why centre was called Olin. 

Cofounders of centre were: Bronisława Dłuska (1865 - 1939) – polish doctor, older sister of Maria Słodowska – Cuire, she was the first chief of  Rad’s Institute, and Jan Koszyc Witkiwiecz. Koszyc was his nickname (1881 - 1958) – he was polish architect, restorer of art and Stanisław Witkiewicz’s nephew. He created the project of building for free, on the exposition in Paris, for which he was awarded with silver medal.

Centre was created in mind of children from poorest families.  The main building was a shelter of 250 of them. The other children stayed in military tents. 

In 1940 the building was extended and modernized. Thank to hook-up to the central heating system, centre could be active for whole year.  The health resort was mostly focused on treatment, raising physical condition and upbringing.

The Olin scheme predicted physical activities, teaching self-reliance, work for centre, intellectual growth and practical exercises.  Cezary Jellenta wrote about it:   Great aeroplane, outspread on wooden land, which could accommodate two hundred and fifty,  hungry or puny children at the same time (…) Midpoint like a heart of a airship nested in the peak of Poland, crosses long bench of similar angle, thrown like a wings on the left and right.  Wooden construction, which walls are leaning on brick stanchions.

The centre functioned till 1944.

In her memories Aleksandra Piłsudska wrote, that in the first day of War, air bombs killed 15 children, and many of them, were injured.

In the end o 1945 Olaf Nurdwall – chairman of Swedish Red Cross organization,  offered  building a sanatorium and preventorium for children suffering from tuberculosis to polish authorities.  The opening of first pavilion  for 40 beds came on September 1946 with attendance of Swedish Prime Minister Tage Erlender and dr. Nurdwall. Sanatorium was equipped with modern diagnostic and utility devices.

The ward nursery, pre-school and school was managed by Helena Skłodowska-Szdley, the second sister of Maria Skłodowska Curie.

Up till 1948 it has common Polish –Swedish management, then in was taken under the control of Warsaw Magistrate. Since 1951, the chief of Pediatric Ward of Tuberculosis in Otwock was returnee, Franciszek Groër. Thanks to him, the affiliate of Tuberculosis institute was open, and first scientific publications about Meningitis were released.

In 1951 sanatorium was named after Julian Marchlewski.

In 1992 sanatorium was transferred to the object on G. Narutowicza St.

The building of Olin burned down on August 16th 2008.