Kontakt Strona główna Pliki do pobrania polski

NEWSLETTER

Podaj swój adres e-mail:

Kościelna Street - The Szeliga Villa

Kościelna 12, 14, 16, 18 Street

The extensive plot between Kościuszki, Kościelną and Chopina streets, on which with the time breaks “świdermajer” wooden, ground-floored and storied buildings were built. 

In 1893 the property belonged to the Zawadzki family, in 1906 to Mrs. Szeliska and that’s why the villa is named Szeliga. Around 1920, little pared down, became a property of Oszer Perechodnik, the Jewish merchant, tenement house owner. During the war his son, Calek Perechodnik, was a policeman in the Otwock’s ghetto. From his recently published diary in a form of a book, “Confection”, we can get to know about the tragic destiny of Otwock’s Jews and the attitudes of Otwock’s Christians. The Perechodnik family was occupying the house built by Oszer Perechodnik, under the current number 14. Till today the initials of the owner are saved.
 
The special attention deserves the biggest building, the corner giant under the number 18. Built in the beginning of the 20th century became the cultural, social and trade center of Otwock’s inhabitants. Here the club of intelligentsia called “Spójnia” functioned, as well as other associations, such as The Association of Radio Emero Enthusiasts, the association of doctors, polish merchants. In the big hall the first sessions of City Council was debated, the amateur theatrical group performed. 
In the oldest building (number 14), since 1898, till twenties of the 20th century Jadwiga Nestorowicz’s guesthouse was functioning. The second building, in which in 1915 Marshall Piłsudski stayed, unfortunately went up into flames. 
In the house number 12 (currently a ruin) Stanisław Brzozowski lived till 1904, a well known philosopher, publicist, literary critic, dramatist, prose writer. 
All the buildings are under the protection of a conservator.